Top Ten Tips for Working with Schools
- Let the school know up front if you have concerns
- It helps to be visible in the school but do not intrude on the learning
- Every school is a little different in its approach
- There are lots of different ways of working with student problems in schools. Not just one of them is right.
- If you want to talk to a classroom teacher, ask to make an appointment with them. When teachers are with students, their first responsibility is to teach and supervise them.
- School folks got into education for the joy of working with students.
- School Psychologists and Special Teachers are there to study individual students. Help them by giving your specific observations. Your observations matter.
- Lots of teachers and other school folks use e-mail, but remember that teachers check e-mail when they have planning or breaks.
- If you have made a request and you haven’t received a response, don’t wait too long before asking about it. Sometimes requests do get lost.
- Schools can be fun places to be; it is where all children gather to learn. Enjoy your time there too!
Reference: Shirley A. Vickery, PhD